I blogged earlier this month about some... ah... creative differences we were having about an internal United Way campaign here at work. Since the campaign officially launches today, I thought I'd provide some updates.
I was, fortunately, able to skew folks away from a strictly Arayan male and got them to go for more of a silhouetted figure. He's still pretty decidedly male, but at least he's not race-specific. There was also a week-long, contracted debate with the legal department about how close all of my designs were to Superman. They argued that, and I'm not making this up, that anyone in tights with a cape regardless of coloring or the specifics of the design was too close to the man of steel and opened us up for a potential lawsuit from DC. We ultimately had to use several arguments combined together before they tentatively agreed that it was passable.
The scripts were largely written by the project manager, and obviously tout the benefits of contributing to the United Way. The newspaper and radio tower were my additions beyond the script. The first and penultimate strips she left more open-ended, and I had a little more freedom to play with the format. I actually quite like that penultimate strip, with the second figure breaking the confines of the panel and the third figure breaking the confines of the entire strip.
Another interesting creative note, in the first strip, I was deliberately trying to obscure the character to provide some sense of anticipation. Although with a figure that has no details or decipherable features, that's a bit difficult. Hence, that strip features the fast-moving, blurry version of the character as well as a close-up that centers on his chest.
On a final note, that last piece features a mirror in the hero's face, so the reader winds up staring at their own reflection.
- ► 2015 (253)
- ► 2014 (259)
- ► 2013 (342)
- ► 2012 (372)
- ► 2011 (367)
- The 14th Dalai Lama Review
- A Curmudgeon's Take On Halloween
- The Daily News, Take 2
- Yet Another Detective 27 Up For Sale?!?
- The Adventures Of Unemployed Man Review
- Fist Stick Knife Gun Review
- Today's Adventures At B&N
- The Reconcilers Review
- These Kids Today Don't Know Their History!
- Comic Fandom: Don't Be Doing It Wrong
- My UW Comics
- Fummetti/Illustrated Comics?
- A Non-Partisan Political Rant Which Lightly Touche...
- Arrests Made In Comic Book Burglary Case
- Mad Friday Night Ramblings
- I'm Calling Mash-Ups On Account Of Sickness
- I Think You're Sauceome
- Happy Birthday, Jerk!
- The Power Of Branding
- Hatter M, Nature of Wonder Review
- Time For Some Self-Promotion
- The Hero Who Could Be You... As Long As You're A W...
- Arcana Who?
- Weighing In On This Comics Journalism Hoohah... Ag...
- Iconography For Kirby's Unfinished Sagas?
- Just In Time For Halloween
- Saturday Comics History Link-Blogging
- Paul Conrad: Drawing Fire
- ▼ October (29)
- ► 2009 (365)
- ► 2008 (358)
- ► 2007 (382)