A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
So long, Doug, and thanks for all the fish.
- ► 2015 (149)
- ► 2014 (259)
- ► 2013 (342)
- ► 2012 (372)
- ► 2011 (367)
- Wait -- Comic Characters Have Weight?
- The Salt Lake Tribune On Africa's Poachers
- Wowio To Rebrand Itself?
- A Revelation About Marvel & DC
- My Avengers Application Was Approved
- Happy Towel Day!
- The Impact Of Resolution
- Ode To Kirihito Review
- Atari Superman Online
- 30 Years Ago...
- SD Paper Superheroes
- Free Access: Underground & Independent Comics, Com...
- Onward & Upward To Greater Glory!
- Minor Housecleaning
- Filtering Through Your Own Lens
- Happy Birthday, Brigid!
- 20 Out Of 30 Days Review
- Green Arrow AKA Robin
- To Tell the Truth: William M. Gaines
- Link Blogging
- The Post In Which Sean Responds To Everybody By Wa...
- The Awesomeness Of August 1972
- Yet Another One Of My Brilliant Ideas
- The "Is My Comic Worth $1 Million?" Webinar
- I've Been Libraried!
- Inside The Middle East With The 99
- A Look Inside Sanctuaries Of Geekdom
- Why Garfield Is So Mashupable
- The Complete Ouija Interviews Reviewed
- FCBD Win!
- ▼ May (32)
- ► 2009 (365)
- ► 2008 (358)
- ► 2007 (382)