A few weeks ago, Tek Jansen and Maintenance artist Robbi Rodriquez announced he was having a fire sale to get rid of the pile of art under his desk. For twenty bucks, he'll send you two piece of original art, somewhat randomly chosen.
I thought to myself, "Two pieces of original comic art for $20? That's only ten bucks a piece! Awesome!" I scrounged together the twenty bucks and fired it off with a note that said, only half-jokingly, that I wouldn't be too disappointed if one or both of the pieces of art happened to be from Maintenance as I particularly enjoyed that series.
Today, I found a flat package waiting on my doorstep...
A sketch from his Frankie Get Your Gun which, I believe, he's still working on. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong and it's actually out there somewhere.)
And then, I carefully opened the package up to find...
Two excellent pieces of original art from Maintenance featuring the two lead characters, as well as a highly detailed layout sketch also from the series.
See, you know what's great here? It's not so much that it was inexpensive -- though that was cool -- it's that he threw in a couple of other unique freebies just to say 'thanks for the support'. I mean, clearly, the quick sketch on the back of a cardboard package isn't going hang in a museum wall and I'd be hard pressed to justify framing it, but it's a very nice, personal touch that adds a lot to the transaction. It's like the occasional waitress or clerk who says 'thank you' with such sincerity that you can't help but feel they genuinely enjoyed dealing with you.
Did Rodriguez HAVE to make sure he sent over Maintenance artwork? No. By the rules he set up, he made it very clear it was going to be a crap shoot. But he pulled out those couple of pages (seemingly) deliberately, and provided an extra sketch which no one but me, him and the postman have seen. That's just cool, in a very classy way.
Man, that is some great stuff! Thank you much, Robbi! I highly suggest folks heading over to pick up on any of the great deals he might have left!
- ► 2014 (259)
- ► 2013 (342)
- ► 2012 (372)
- ► 2011 (367)
- Last Mash-Up Before April, I Promise
- Archie Character Is The Messiah
- Conventions I Will Be Attending In 2010
- Still In The Cellophane?
- Tozo, Chapter 3 On Sale Now!
- Comic Book Villains (The Movie)
- Fanboys & Objectiveness
- Sequential Art Finds At The Cincinnati Art Museum
- Comic Fandom Bibliography
- Another Mashup Day. Sorry.
- Least I Could Non Sequitur, Garfield
- Comics: Right Now
- Philosophy Via Comics
- A Brief Tour Of My Action Figure Metropolis
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World Babies
- Sad Health Updates On Giordano & Sarno
- Warka Vase Status Updated. Sort of.
- Joe Sarno Hospitalized
- Morning Linkage Post: North Korea & Spidey Music
- Inflatable Thing
- Who Are The Big Name Fans?
- Metropolis Wasn't Built In Two Days Either
- Trekkies & Trekkies 2
- Sesame Street's David Sued Marvel?
- Channeling My 8-Year-Old Self
- Brian Boyd On the Origins of Comics
- OK, Go's Live Action Comic
- New Kirby Collector Out Today!
- Logicomix Review
- Them Ol' Comic Book Ads
- Robbi Rodriguez Is Awesome!
- Review: Deus ex Comica
- Remember: The Hulk Was An Original Avenger
- Jason Yungbluth At C2E2?
- Comics By Kleefeld
- The Negative Zone & Plagiarism
- Comic Book Fanthropology Sale
- Top Comic Characters I Want To See Made Into Actio...
- ▼ March (39)
- ► 2009 (365)
- ► 2008 (359)
- ► 2007 (382)