Brendan Spillane pointed out to me that Captain Marvel appeared in yesterday's Mutts comic strip and his previous comic strip appearance was at Nancy's 80th birthday celebration last November...
Back in 1943, at pretty much the height of the character's popularity, Captain Marvel creator C.C. Beck teamed up with writer Rod Reed to pitch a newspaper strip of the character. They put together a week's worth of samples, but none of the syndicates picked them up. Although they were never expressly told why, Reed assumed that it had to do with the lawsuit DC had filed against Fawcett. Here are the first three sample strips they worked up (originally printed in The Fawcett Companion)...
Mr. Tawny was created in 1947 and first appeared in Captain Marvel Adventures #79. He would have been under a Fawcett copyright, and would have remained so even after they ceased publication of superhero comics in 1953 as part of their settlement with DC. This is reinforced by the fact that DC had to license (and later purchase outright) the character to use in their comics in the 1970s. So Beck and Binder, while creators of the character, would not have had the rights to use him in a comic strip. The syndicates would almost certainly have been aware of the prior lawsuit -- it was a pretty big deal, and lasted for about a decade with the various appeals -- and even if they didn't fully investigate who owned which characters, they could well have shied away from even attempting to get near a character with a legally grey history.
All of which means that the handful of appearances Captain Marvel has made in comic strips were NOT by his original creator, despite his style being perfectly suited to that medium. Nor were any of his appearances in his own comic!
- ► 2016 (306)
- ► 2015 (253)
- On -isms: The Female Lead
- On History: The Original FF Variant Cover
- On Business: Checking the Landscape
- On Strips: Captain Marvel
- On -isms: What To Read While You're Not in San Die...
- On History: Launching Pads
- On Business: Foil Covers, Take 2
- On Strips: Capp vs Lennon
- On -isms: Chunky Girl Comics
- On History: The Comicmobile
- On Business: The Artist's Dilemma
- On Strips: The Original Graphic Novels
- On -isms: Endemic Issues
- On History: Texas History Movies Review
- On Business: The Fandom Industry
- On Strips: Independence Day Strips
- On -isms: Where are my POC Reprints?
- On History: Marvel on 20/20
- ▼ July (23)
- ► 2013 (342)
- ► 2012 (372)
- ► 2011 (367)
- ► 2010 (382)
- ► 2009 (365)
- ► 2008 (358)
- ► 2007 (382)