I got my dog not quite a decade ago from the local vets office, who took in strays and whatnot. My then-wife and I spent a while trying to come up with a suitable name for him and, not surprisingly, I went back to comics for my inspiration. Kirby and Ditko were high on my initial list, but both got vetoed pretty quickly. I did compile a list of cartoon/comic dog names (Snoopy, Krypto, Huckleberry, etc.) but nothing really struck me. I started branching out the list to include character names of non-dogs (Garfield, Fritz, Gleek, etc.) and wasn't coming up with much either.
But we happened to have just started buying the Foxtrot collections of comic strips. And there on page eight of Eight Yards, Down and Out was that collection's first appearance of the character who we realized the dog must be named after...
Since reading this very strip, my dog has gone by the name Quincy. I think it was the combination of the iguana's totally non-sequitir appearance and his look of idle indifference that really were the selling points.
Most people assume he's named after the Jack Klugman character, but no. He's named after a fictional iguana from a newspaper comic strip.
Quincy says "boo."
- ► 2014 (259)
- ► 2013 (342)
- ► 2012 (372)
- ► 2011 (367)
- The Pre-History Of The Fantastic Four
- These Kids Today With Their Comics & Their Interwe...
- Magic Johnson, The Immonens & High Moon
- What Works & What Doesn't
- Sorting Through Why The Avengers Movie Bugs Me
- Another Reason Going To SDCC Is Unnecessary
- The Elevator Pitch
- True Fact: I Named My Dog After A Comic Strip Igua...
- My Ambivalence Towards CCI
- Flashback: The Quest For Identity Minicomic
- QR Codes @ CCI
- Show Your Scott Pilgrim Love
- Of Geeks & The Future Pop Culture
- Marble Comics Group's Slimeboy
- Baltimore/DC During Labor Day
- PSA: Free Marvel Episodes On iTunes
- Kirby Collector #54 For Free!
- The Bone Mini-Comic #1
- Comic-Con Survival Guide Review
- LCS Photos, Street Edition
- "I Quit You, Super-People!"
- Why Do I Do It?
- A Wealth Of Fable Review
- Goodies In The Mailbox
- Chickens From My Archives!
- Ben Hardy & The Ohio Adventure
- Rescuers Of The Lost Art
- The Diminishing Importance Of CCI
- So... Zuda's Closed, Is It?
- ▼ July (30)
- ► 2009 (365)
- ► 2008 (359)
- ► 2007 (382)